Is A Premarital Agreement Right For You?
Entering into a marriage is an exciting and happy time for you and your family. During this time, however, it is important to be mindful of what marriage means for you legally. A marriage acts as a business contract in many respects. Spouses become tied to each other’s financial interests and liabilities, especially when children are involved.
Before you enter into a marriage, consider what would happen in the unfortunate event of a divorce or separation. At Maitland & Stiffler Law Firm, PLLC, in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, we work with couples who are planning to get married or have already been married in the drafting, negotiation, and review of prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements.
Helping You Plan For The Unexpected
During these often sensitive proceedings, we strive to keep efforts focused on making levelheaded decisions. Our attorneys ask important questions and help our clients plan for contingencies they often have not considered, such as:
- What property would you each wish to retain sole ownership of if you separated or divorced? Who would retain ownership over real estate property such as the family home or vacation property?
- Do you have children from prior marriages? How will property and inheritance be preserved properly for your children and each other?
- How will you manage responsibility for debts one person accumulated during the marriage?
- Do you wish to outline certain financial rights and responsibilities during your marriage?
- How will business ownership, retirement benefits and other professional interests be divided or protected in case of a divorce?
- How do premarital agreements overlap or work in conjunction with estate planning documents?
Get More Information About Prenuptial And Premarital Agreements
Our team of experienced lawyers can help you address the complex issues related to family law and divorce. We work with our clients one-one-one in Chapel Hill and throughout North Carolina to address the full scope of their legal needs. Contact our firm online or by calling 919-944-4757. We offer personalized consultations in family law cases.