Helping You Through Probate In North Carolina
For many individuals and their attorneys, one of the main reasons to create or update an estate plan, living will or trust, is to avoid probate court. There are some downsides to having your estate pass through probate. Probate can be costly and may take a long time. The court has the discretion to modify your provisions. Your estate information becomes part of the public record.
However, if you do have an estate that is passing through probate, you want an experienced probate administration attorney to protect your rights and the wishes of the decedent. At Maitland & English Law Firm, PLLC, located in Chapel Hill, our attorneys understand that it is a difficult time for your family. Our lawyers and staff are sensitive to our clients’ situations and work together to resolve their issues as efficiently as possible.
Tailored, Insightful Representation In Estate And Probate Matters
We work to have a smooth legal process and can help you with the following probate and estate administration issues:
- Protect the estate from creditor’s claims
- Represent the interests of heirs and beneficiaries in probate court
- Prevent personal liability in asset distribution
- Deal with counties, notifications and property transfers
- Establish survivor trusts, family trusts or A-B trusts
- File estate taxes and work to minimize estate tax burdens
- Transfer properties and distribute assets through a will or trust
- Handle tax planning issues in trust administration
Estate Disputes That Arise
Unfortunately, relatives who have never argued sometimes argue and disagree during the estate administration process. Our attorneys at Maitland & English Law Firm, PLLC, have significant litigation experience and can represent an individual’s or a family’s interests in litigation. We understand the North Carolina rules of probate and can help you with the following issues:
- Asset distribution litigation
- Will contests
- Trust contests
- Defense or plaintiff actions regarding misappropriation of funds
- Litigation (defense or plaintiff) regarding undue influence
Get More Information Today
To discuss probate, estate administration or a will contest, call our firm at 919-265-0800 or contact us online. We represent clients in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and throughout the surrounding areas.