Your Hometown Firm For Personal Legal Service

Exterior of the Office Building of Maitland & English Law Firm, PLLC

Assistance With Modifying And Enforcing Existing Court Orders Post-Divorce

Life will inevitably and unexpectedly change after your divorce is final. You or your former spouse may get remarried. You may have more children. You may get a new job and have to move. These are your personal decisions, but they can still affect the divorce agreements you have already dealt with.

Before you risk struggling to keep up with support payments or fail to meet the legal responsibilities of a custody arrangement, pursue legal solutions through post-divorce modifications or enforcement. Our lawyers and staff at Maitland & Stiffler Law Firm, PLLC have extensive experience handling a range of family law and divorce issues, including the modification and enforcement of child support, child custody, spousal support (alimony) and any other related orders.

Child Custody Or Child Support Modifications

North Carolina law provides guidelines for how changing circumstances in an individual’s life can be addressed in child support, spousal support and custody modifications. Adjustments can be temporary or permanent depending upon the family’s needs.

Reduction in support payments or parenting time may be justified when issues of unemployment, remarriage or health care arise. Upward adjustments may be made when one party has had favorable changes to living standards that perhaps should be passed along to children. Our post-divorce modification lawyers can work through these issues with you and guide you toward a solution.

Post-Divorce Enforcement Of Orders

In some cases, people wait too long to make adjustments and instead let themselves simply miss payments or fail to accommodate child custody and parenting-time agreements. In these instances, court-ordered enforcement may be required. If an order is continuously ignored, even after it has been enforced, the party that is not abiding by the terms of the order may be held in contempt and subject to monetary fines or even jail time.

Learn More About Your Rights

No matter what side of the situation you are on, we can advise you on your rights and responsibilities and help you achieve a favorable outcome that helps both you and your family get what you need. Contact an experienced attorney at our office in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, online or by telephone at 919-944-4757 to arrange a consultation. We are here to help you.