Protecting Your Rights And Driving Privileges After A DUI Arrest
The blue lights in your rearview mirror say it all: you are being pulled over by North Carolina law enforcement for suspicion of driving while intoxicated (DWI). In your concern during the moment, you may not think about your legal rights and focus instead about how your family, your employer or your spouse will respond. While you’re thinking of your future, law enforcement officers may be neglecting or disregarding your rights as they issue a citation or make an arrest.
The attorneys at Maitland & English Law Firm, PLLC, will represent you in two ways:
- Defend you of the criminal charges brought against you in criminal court
- Represent you in the administrative processes at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to protect your driver’s license and right to drive
Minimizing The Impact Of A DWI Arrest
In North Carolina, a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of .08% is considered impaired. However, a driver may still be charged with an offense even if their BAC is under .08%. If you have been drinking and can’t find your BAC on the chart or can’t remember the number of drinks you’ve had, then you should not drive.
If you commute to work or drive for a living, a DWI conviction can mean the loss of employment. If you are a college student, a DWI conviction can affect your ability to rent an apartment or damage future employment opportunities. In some instances, a DWI conviction will result in jail time. There are almost always significant fines and increases to motor vehicle insurance.
Protect yourself from the harsh penalties and consequences of a drunk driving conviction by working with our experienced Chapel Hill DWI defense attorneys. Our assertive defense strategies include:
- Examination of the validity and administration of sobriety tests
- Knowledge and ability to challenge arresting procedures
- Negotiation skills to have charges dismissed or reduced in exchange for treatment or other options
- Ability to protect your driving privileges by license reinstatement and other means
Act Promptly After A DWI Arrest
If you have been arrested for drunk driving, it is important to enlist the representation of our knowledgeable attorneys as soon as possible. You have a limited amount of time to protect your driving privileges. Call 919-265-0800 or use our online contact form to schedule a consultation.