Probate And Estate Administration
Helping You Through Probate in North Carolina
For many individuals and their attorneys, one of the main reasons to create or update an estate plan, living will or trust, is to avoid probate court. There are some downsides to having your estate pass through probate. Probate can be costly and may take a long time. The court has discretion to modify your provisions. Your estate information becomes part of the public record.
However, if you do have an estate that is passing through probate, you want an experienced probate administration attorney to protect your rights and the wishes of the decedent.
At The Maitland Law Firm, PLLC located in Chapel Hill, our attorneys understand that it is a difficult time for your family. We work to have a smooth legal process and can help you with the following probate and estate administration issues:
- Protect the estate from creditor’s claims
- Represent the interests of heirs and beneficiaries in probate court
- Prevent personal liability in asset distribution
- Deal with counties, notifications and property transfers
- Establish survivor trusts, family trusts or AB trusts
- File estate taxes and work to minimize estate tax burdens
- Transfer property and distribute assets through a will or trust
- Handle tax planning issues in trust administration
Orange County Estate Administration Lawyer for Disputes
Unfortunately, relatives who have never argued sometimes argue and disagree during the estate administration process. The Attorneys of Maitland Law Firm, PLLC have significant litigation experience and can represent an individual’s or a family’s interests in litigation.
We understand the North Carolina rules of probate and can help you with the following issues:
- Asset distribution litigation
- Will contests
- Trust contests
- Defense or plaintiff actions regarding misappropriation of funds
- Litigation (defense or plaintiff) regarding undue influence